- Malnutrition remains the world’s most serious health problem and the single biggest contributor to child mortality, more than HIV/AIDS, TB and malaria combined.
- 1 out of 4 children – around 146 million - in developing countries are malnourished.
- Under nutrition contributes to more than one-half of the 9.7 million deaths of children under five each year in developing countries. This means that one child dies every six seconds from malnutrition and related causes.
- 60% of the 10.9 million child deaths in developing countries are related to hunger and/or malnutrition.
- 1 in 7 people in the world will go to bed hungry tonight.
Last year St. Catherine’s hosted the Stop Hunger Now campaign and we are asking that you each help in this wonderful ministry. This is an opportunity for us all to join together as a community and do our part to and help some one who is starving in the world.
The Call of Christ is very simple. In The gospel of Matthew these words are shared for each and every one of us:
37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
This is our opportunity to help “feed the least of these”, and in a way answer the calling of Jesus in the gospel.
In the weeks leading up to the event we are asking that each St. Catherine’s make a conscience effort to set aside or raise $40. That is roughly $10 to $15 dollars a week for the next three weeks.
We are asking that you make a conscious effort in the next few weeks to sacrifice in some way small way. Instead of going to get that extra large Frappuccino, set the money aside. Instead of going out to a movie, just rent one and save the money. Instead of going out to eat, save the money. Next time you babysit; set the money aside for this ministry
We are asking that this service effort is a part of your everyday life. We are asking that you make an effort to sacrifice in some small way over the coming weeks. It does not seem right that we try to sell another plastic bracelet or donuts for such a serious and life changing cause.
Our goal is for the student body to come together, donate funds and then together package 50,000 meals on October the 11th. All donations will all go to stop hunger now.
If you are able to contribute more than $40, then please do so. Feel free to ask family members and friends to donate to this cause. If you can only contribute a smaller amount, that is fine as well, every gift is a blessing.
Lets each take on this practice of faith and change the world. Thank you for your time and efforts on this ministry.