Dr. Scheckelhoff Announces Retirement
Dr. Terrie Hale Scheckelhoff, who has served as Head of School at St. Catherine's since 2012, has shared that she will retire at the end of the 2019–2020 school year, which will be her eighth year.
"I am grateful that my time at 6001 Grove Avenue is the capstone of my life’s work," Scheckelhoff said. "Most of all, the girls have filled my heart and given a lift to my step each day. They make me smile, and they model what greatness can look like in our world. I know that they are destined to live with purpose and integrity."
Under Scheckelhoff’s leadership, St. Catherine’s has flourished locally and nationally, achieving substantial growth, progress, and financial strength.
Highlights of her time at St. Catherine's include:
- Cultivated a culture of continuous improvement and innovation with an emphasis on personalized learning and a multitude of new and enhanced academic programs such as Girls Innovate Signature Program, increased STEM offerings, Lower School Clubhouse enrichment program, a 4-year/3-counselor College Counseling Model, and a school-wide health and wellness program
- Grew student enrollment to capacity at 993 (2018-2019) and increased students of color enrollment
- Developed the Center for Early Childhood Education that includes a full-day JK program and a new Early Learners 3-year-old program
- Expanded professional development opportunities for faculty and staff, including summer grants, Girls Innovate Faculty Fellows, and more faculty and staff presenting at regional and national conferences
- Renovated and/or built new facilities such as two libraries, a media lab, an innovation lab, maker spaces, Center for Early Childhood Education, and Phase 1 of the southern third of the campus
"In addition to her intelligence, thought leadership, and insatiable energy, Terrie is an outstanding role model for girls and young women," said Herbert A. Claiborne III,
Chair, of St. Catherine's Board of Governors. "She has touched the hearts of many—from the youngest child in Early Learners to the oldest alumna—with her warmth, positivity, enthusiasm, and collaborative nature. Needless to say, we will miss her dearly."
The School is finalizing a Search Committee to begin a national search process for Scheckelhoff’s successor. Learn more about the Head of School Search here.