After its formation in 1995 as part of the VCU Music Department, the Oberon Quartet began its residency at St. Catherine's and St. Christopher's Schools in 1996. Designed to be a quartet in residence, the quartet has become a valuable asset for education, culture and community enrichment. The quartet provides educational concerts and classroom observation to all the divisions of both schools, along with two full length recitals at each school. The members of the quartet teach private lessons to many students in the Saints community, as well as coaching and support to the string program at both schools.
All of the current members are also part of the Richmond Symphony, influencing the greater Richmond area with exciting musical experiences. The quartet seeks to be innovative in its programming by performing music both old and new. The past three years each concert has featured a work by a living composer, including some newly commissioned works. This season promises to engage audiences in new and exciting ways.
- Friday, Sept. 23, US boys 8:00, St. Christopher's School
- Monday, Sept. 26, US girls 8:00, St. Catherine's School
- Monday, Sept. 26, LS girls 8:30, St. Catherine's School
- Tuesday, Sept. 27, MS girls 8:00, St. Catherine's School
- Wednesday, Oct. 5, LS boys 3:00, St. Christopher's School
- Wednesday, Oct. 12, MS boys 8:00, St. Christopher's School
- Recital date: Monday, Feb. 6, 7 p.m. Bannard Chapel, St. Catherine's School